Three posts in one day? C'est impossible! Occult Mix Tape


Hearken, all ye, to the beauty of the Occult Mix Tape -- songs of esoteric significance and joy:

1. Papa Legba - The Talking Heads

What better way to start than with an invocation to Papa, who is the gate keeper who opens the way?

2. Letter, From the Lost Days - Melissa Williamson

Writing a letter to your future self, telling yourself not to give up hope. And a song of great personal importance to me.

3. Haunted - Poe

More for it's atmosphere than its lyrics, though it is a reminder that we can be haunted by more than just ghosts.

4. Hymn - Three Weird Sisters

When there's fear in my heart, Lady I'm singin', when there's gladness, I'm singin', too. A nice reminder that the powers that be want to hear from us when the chips are down as well as singing their praise. I always feel safe when I listen to this.

5. Ouija Board, Ouija Board - Morrissey

The inspiration for this mix tape. Stephen, push off!

6. Hoodoo Lady - Memphis Minnie

Goin' to the hoodoo lady for some help. This song reminds me of my Grandmother -- and, no, not because I think she's a hoodoo lady. It's the line where she uses the word "dukes" to mean hands, for some reason.

7. Die Another Day - Madonna

Yeah, you read that right. Sure, it's the theme to a James Bond movie. However, she was all about the Cabala while writing this and it seeps through. To me, a song about ceremonial magick par excellence.

8. Marie Laveaux - Robinella and the CCstringband

A song about the lady, herself. Better watch yerself around the VooDoo Queen of New Orleans.

9. Mr. Crowley - Ozzy Osbourne

My all time favorite Ozzy song, not just because of the subject matter, but because of Randy Rhoads's guitar solo, which is the best guitar solo ever. Period. No argument. (Until Tol comes and tells me differently.)

10. The Metre - Powderfinger

Welcome to the saving grace, says Powderfinger. Another song on the list for atmosphere -- but also for the message that sometimes, we just have to let things happen. And that can be magic, too.

11. Signs of the Zodiac - Rasputina

In this song, the ladies ask us, "Do you believe in the signs of the Zodiac?" It's one of two token skeptic's songs. A little skepticism is a good thing.

12. Predictions - Suzanne Vega

Her list of just about every method of divination that has ever been used in the history of the world. Put this one on repeat as you read my next review.

13. Cross Road Blues - Robert Johnson

He told us all about "Sweet Home, Chicago," but he was also such an exemplary musician, that his contemporaries whispered about him selling his soul to the devil. So, Robert wrote a song about it. Good on ya, Robert (that's my little bit of Aussie talk thrown in)!

14. Galileo - Indigo Girls

My second skeptic's song, this time about reincarnation. This song reminds me of my father, who taught me about Galileo when I was in 6th grade. I grew up in a house that was 1/2 believers and 1/2 skeptics. This song reminds me of everyone. :)
15. My Karma Broke Down - Three Weird Sisters

Their second appearance on the list, suggested by Tol. Three Weird Sisters cross religious lines and write an entertaining tune about what happens when the chickens come home to roost.

16. The Christians and the Pagans - Dar Williams

A really sweet song about some Christians and some Pagans gathering together at Christmas dinner.

17. Shanti/Ashtangi - Madonna

The lady M's second appearance, if you can believe it! I won't write out the whole translation, but the first line translates to "I worship the gurus' lotus feet."

18. The Samedi Strut - Baron Samedi Ecstatic Soul Quintet

Traditionally, if I start by asking Papa Legba to open the way, I should ask him to close it. But omitting that step is less dangerous than omitting nodding my head to the Baron, who I feel also keeps an eye on me. So I close with a song about Mr. Dangerous, the Baron of the Cemeteries and of Saturday.

Connie, aka Ms. Loquacious, is out.

1 comments:

Smarter Than the Average Cat said...

Ouija board, ouija board... Hee hee. Morrisey cracks me up.

Nice mix tape. Don't know Three Weird Sisters, but seems I might gots to be checkin' em out. Are the band members names Clotho, Alecto and Lachesis?

Good stuff--Suzanne V and Rasputina on the same mix. Whoda thunk it?

(And WORD! for including a skeptical tune or two!)